Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What if the US government shut down? Nah, that would never happen!

Due to the U.S. government shutdown, this blog will be temporarily suspended. BRB.
Just kidding.
Unfortunately - or fortunately - I am not a federal employee. And so, the blog must go on!

For those of you who are not U.S.-based, let me just apologize for our moronic society. In case you were wondering if we individual American citizens were part of this whole scheme, let me assure you, we are merely onlookers in the train wreck of partisan politics. We stand by and watch the numnuts in Washington in disbelief, just like the rest of you.

Don't get me wrong - I am a US citizen, and proud of it. America is a great place to grow up. While I admire many countries around the world, and enjoy visiting as many as I can afford, I have to say I value my freedom way too much to ever part with it.

That said, it can sometimes be kind of embarrassing to be an "obnoxious American". This would be one of those times.
"I am not amused." - Founding Father Abraham Lincoln.

Yes, our noble, valiant, elected officials have once again seen fit to throw a tantrum more suitable for a pre-school than the hallowed halls of Congress.

Lawmakers are there to make law, and I for one am pretty p-ssed off that they aren't doing so right now and many are, in fact, doing everything in their power to block the Democratic system that they enjoy the fruits of. The folks responsible for the government shut down are being paid right now. That's right. They've brought the entire country to a screeching halt, and aren't even being docked a day's pay. State parks are closed. Many federal employees were sent home/furloughed. American monuments and museums were closed, even those outside of the US.

(Many exemptions were made to ensure public safety, such as military and FAA, but regardless, it's a big mess.)

For a complete list of who is affected, check out
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/09/politics/government-shutdown-impact/.

To quote a popular American newscaster:
"I believe it's terrorism: This is the first time I've seen a political party, or even a fraction of it, say that their number-one-goal is to shutdown the American government, kill a bill that's already been passed by Congress, and refuse to pay bills already run up by Congress in an attempt to basically risk default."
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews, former press secretary for House Speaker Tip O'Neill, former speechwriter for President Carter

Not to be outdone, the Brits have their own interpretation, as the kings of understatement, and a BBC reporter may have said it best: "It's all quite bonkers". 

No comments:

Post a Comment